|
Thursday, March 29, 2007
The Phantom of the Opera
Things hasn't really been looking up.. especially with the onset of project deadlines and presentations.. I been losing my temper on more than one occasion due to the buildup of stress, causing some tension and friction with a couple of family members.. and coping with an Internet-less home for almost a week.. which means i have to lug my 2.7kg iBook to school almost everyday to school everyday to check my emails and project stuff.. plus the confusions..sighz.. i only wish i can find my answers soon.
And i went to watch The Phantom of the Opera musical on Sunday with my sis, feng.
 L-R: feng & me outside the theatre awaiting for our Circle Door to be opened, pose in front of a giant poster of the musical, the insanely expensive but extremely beautiful programme which cost me 25bucks!
Honestly i wasn't as impressed with the musical.. maybe cos my expectations are very high for the musical, it being an internationally-acclaimed masterpiece and Broadway's longest-running production and the most-watched musical across the world and so forth... Having watched the movie version of "The Phantom of the Opera" in 2004, i expected much more out of the musical.. but was somewhat disappointed. Maybe it just takes alot to impress me now.. But the musical was all-in-all rather rushed through, the atmosphere wasn't adequately built-up to showcase the main characters-namely Christine and the Phantom's emotions. I suspected it had to do with the rather small stage Esplanade had to offer. At a point in time, i felt the stage was getting too crowded with too many cast members, the atmosphere was just not there.
However, i applaud them for the fantastic stage props and visual and sound effects.. It was certainly haunting to hear the Phantom's voice echo through the theatre.. However the stage is really too small to showcase the spectacular stage props the production had to offer.
Nonetheless, I was still moved by the beautiful songs of "All I Ask Of You" and "The Point of No Return", and the tears spilled when Christine kissed the Phantom and the Phantom sat alone in his underground home singing to his strange musical box of a monkey clapping a pair of cymbals in the last scene.
Phantom Of The Opera - "All I Ask Of You"
No more talk of darkness, forget these wide-eyed fears; I'm here, nothing can harm you, my words will warm and calm you. Let me be your freedom, let daylight dry your tears; I'm here, with you, beside you, to guard you and to guide you.
Christine Say you'll love me ev'ry waking moment; turn my head with talk of summertime. Say you need me with you now and always; promise me that all you say is true, that's all I ask of you.
Raoul Let me be your shelter, let me be your light; you're safe, no one will find you, your fears are far behind you.
Christine All I want is freedom, a world with no more night; and you, always beside me, to hold me and to hide me.
Raoul Then say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime; let me lead you from you solitude. Say you need me with you, here beside you, anywhere you go, let me go too, that's all I ask of you.
Christine Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime. Say the word and I will follow you.
Together Share each day with me, each night, each morning.
Christine Say you love me...
Raoul You know I do.
Together Love me, that's all I ask of you.
Anywhere you go let me go too
Love me... that's all I ask of you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phantom Of The Opera - "The Point Of No Return" (Phantom) You have come here in pursuit of your deepest urge, in pursuit of that wish, which till now has been silent, silent . . . I have brought you, that our passions may fuse and merge - in your mind you've already succumbed to me dropped all defences completely succumbed to me - now you are here with me: no second thoughts, you've decided, decided . . .
Past the point of no return - no backward glances: our games of make belive are at an end . . .
Past all thought of "if" or "when" - no use resisting: abandon thought, and let the dream descend . . .
What raging fireshall flood the soul? What rich desire unlocks its door? What sweet seduction lies before us . . .? Past the point of no return, the final threshold, what warm, unspoken secrets will we learn? Beyond the point of no return . . .
(CHRISTINE) You have brought me to that moment where words run dry, to that moment where speech disappears into silence, silence . . .
I have come here, hardly knowing the reason why . . . In my mind, I've already imagined our bodies entwining defenceless and silent - and now I am here with you: no second thoughts, I've decided, decided . . .
Past the point of no return no going back now: our passion-play has now, at last, begun . . .
Past all thought of right or wrong - one final question: how long should we two wait, before we're one . . .?
When will the blood begin to race the sleeping bud burst into bloom? When will the flames, at last, consume us . . .?
BOTH Past the point of no return the final threshold, the bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn . . .
Shu Ling Estrella @ 1:11 AM ~*~ |
**~~**~*~*~~*~*~~*~*~*~**~~*~*~*~*~~**~~**
|
|
|